Hurray for summer!!
Well not around here, yet… After we were given the most beautiful warm weather in Pacific Northwest for a week, it all went away. Raining as I type this. But on the bright side it is making my weeds grow.
I called for an easy peasy list last week so that all of you spend less time in front of the computer and more time with your loved ones during Memorial day. But even a short list of ten words only can be powerful and tell a story! It was a wonderful way to get to know more about your homes. Thank you all for playing along.
Today we are writing 10 SUMMER MEMORIES.
Next week is Ellen and Erin’s turn to choose the topic. Ladies are the beauty, brains and funny bones behind The sisterhood of sensible moms. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out what they would like us to write our lists. I had a sneak peak and it is a good one!!
First thing is first. Let me see what memories you have of summer.
Make a list, check it twice, link it up. Read others. Have fun!
LIST OF 10 SUMMER MEMORIES
1. My grandpa getting me my first camera from the summer fair at the seaside. He said I can have it at the end of the holiday. It squirted water. It made me feel like a real photographer. I was 4.
2. The first Scouts camping trip by lake Bohinj. Ten days, no parents. I shared a tent with Tamara. I was 7 years old. I remember we failed the cleanliness inspection one day. And we hiked all day every day. Still one of my favorite places on Earth.
3. Summer camps in Poreč. It was the highlight of my summers during Elementary school. I loved every minute.
4. Returning from summer camp when I was 12. As our bus pulled into the parking lot I noticed a very popular boy that all the girls had a crush on sitting on a bike, waiting. He came to see if I got back that day. He rode all the way downtown. He smiled at me. Later that summer he confessed he missed me those two weeks I was gone. As the summer came to an end so did his crush on me. But I remember that it made my summer of 1990.
5. Camping in 1993. It was a big deal for my parents to let me go with just a friend. We hiked along the river by the Croatian border. My dog fell into a hole in the ground. Turned out to be a 10 feet deep cave. It took us all day to rescue him. He was fine. I remember going to a restaurant we stopped at on our way home after our parents picked us up. It was the first time I saw my face in two weeks. I remember being surprised. I though I was beautiful.
6. Summer in Kenya. It changed my life. The best mashed potatoes I ever ate. The wrong turn I took and ended up in the field of elephants. The happiness on children’s faces. The gratitude. The humanity. Marta’s smile.
7. The last summer I spend with my grandpa. Taking him to our favorite spot in Bohinj. Being the driver. Feeling all grown up. His walking stick and frail body. His love for me. The tears in his eyes when we said goodbye for the last time.
8. The first summer with my husband. Laying on the beach by my family’s summer home, doing nothing. Seeing him relax and having fun. Planning our future. Having grilled calamari. Sitting by the window during a storm.
9. Little J’s first summer. The warm evenings in our back yard in England, the road trip across Europe, the first time he went to Slovenia. His first steps.
10. Every summer I spend living right here. If you ever traveled to Pacific Northwest during warm months you will understand why we never complain about the rain and the grey during the rest of the year. Nothing beats a warm summer day on our island!
Summer 2008, Koper-Slovenia